Category 4: “Beyond the Score” open to all ages
By popular demand, this category is now open to ALL classical music from around the world, as well as reimaginings of Western classical music. Open to all ages, and to soloists or duos. Judges will be adjudicating this broad category on creativity, virtuosity, and musicality – three criteria that transcend genres and musical countries of origin.
Show us your best, and join this international online classical music competition. Winners perform in Vienna!
Auditions are submitted by video recording. All performances must be memorized, and there is no minimum or maximum time limits for your performance. Please note each round requires a different submission.
To see examples of performances that would qualify in this Category, click here. Important note: This is a classical music competition, so please note that submissions must have a connection to a classical music tradition, whether Western or non-Western. If you have any questions about whether your submission fits this category, e-mail us at email@example.com
Eligible Repertoire (revised August 23, 2021):
- Western classical repertoire played with unconventional instrumentation (examples: Beethoven Symphony 5, first movement, played on 1 piano, 4 hands, or Vivaldi’s Winter played on 2 accordions)
- Creative arrangements of classical repertoire (example: Peter Bence’s Thunderstruck [AC/DC Meets Beethoven])
- Classical music from any non-Western music tradition (examples: Hindustani, Carnatic, Persian, Chinese, etc.). Instruments from these traditions are welcomed (examples: erhu, sitar, etc.) – please select “Other” in Registration form in the instrument drop-down menu.
Online Classical Music Competition Round 1:
Deadline: November 1, 2021
18 winners from Category 4 will become Contestants and proceed to Round 2 (notified by December 1, 2021).
Deadline: January 1, 2022 (different submission from Round 1)
12 winners from Category 4 will become Semi-Finalists and proceed to Round 3 (notified by January 12, 2022).
Deadline: February 1, 2022 (different submission from Rounds 1 & 2)
3 winners from this Category will become Finalists and proceed to perform with the other 9 winners from the other Categories in the Gala Concert in Vienna (notified by February 15, 2022). The Gold, Silver, and Bronze winners in each Category will be announced during the live concert.
Registration: Now Open
Due to overwhelming demand for this online classical music competition Register early to ensure your participation!
Entry fee: All Fees for the contest are paid at time of Registration by credit card. Category 4: $295 USD ($245 Entry Fee + $50 Registration Fee)
Round 1 audition deadline: November 1, 2021
Round 2 audition deadline: January 1, 2022
Round 3 audition deadline: February 1, 2022
Gala Concert of Winners in Vienna, Austria: Sunday, May 1, 2022
Showcase your originality on the world's stage.
Join an international community of classical musicians that re-imagine classical music.
Practice both technique and stage presence by creating audition videos that highlight your best of both.
Receive valuable written feedback from your audition from our Judges on technique and artistry.
Three musicians in this category will be awarded the following:
- Round trip (flight and accommodations) to Vienna
- Opportunity to perform in front of a live audience in the City of Music at the Großer Saal - Wiener Konzerthaus (Grand Hall of the Vienna Konzerthaus) in Austria on Sunday, May 1, 2022
- Opportunity to perform with a symphony orchestra
- Experience the publicity of televised exposure, when this concert is broadcast
- Personalized medal (Gold, Silver, or Bronze)
- Framed Grand Prize Certificate
- Professional photography for your promotional use
- International publicity